Monday, May 20, 2013

Choku and Sunscreen

Jordan called last Sunday for Mother's Day.  It was so wonderful to hear his voice!  We put Zach and his family on Skype and brought Grandma & Grandpa Shell over to hear the conversation.  Jordan is enjoying everything about Sokcho, Korea:  the people, the food and sharing the Gospel!  He is really missing seeing his nephew, Oliver, grow up.



A friend of ours, her son (Eric) is doing an internship in Seoul, Korea, and offered to take a package to mail to Jordan while in Korea.  Of course, we thought of cookies!  We mailed some peanut butter cookies and some chocolate chip cookies.

Here is what Jordan had to say in his letter:

The package was wonderful! Thank you SO much for cookies. I celebrated and bought MILK. Oh my gosh it was so good.  Thank you! Elder Ghergori also loves the cookies.

I called Eric and when we go to Seoul, he'll drive over to meet us. That should be great, we talked for a few minutes. I'm really excited to see him!
Okay, now for my adventures this week!
We didn't have many, except on Friday, we went to Kangnang for a sports meeting! There were 12 missionaries, the ones from our zone, some members, and investigators that the missionaries brought. In all, maybe about 50 people came. We played soccer, chok-u, which is soccer and volleyball combined. You play with a shorter net, and you can only kick or head the ball. It can bounce a few times, but only once between hits. Koreans get pretty crazy with their kicks! They jump up and spin to 'spike' the soccer ball down to the opposite court. It's definitely a sport designed for Asians and kung-fu masters. It's super fun.

The only downside to a really fun day was that we were super tired after, and...I got burned. Everyone did. We didn't know it would be that hot, but it's not too bad. There's '약 국's every 30 feet in Korea (Medicine stores). They're everywhere. So we got some aloe-copycat, and when I go to Costco next week, I'll pick up some good sunscreen and aloe.
Yesterday we had two visitors in our ward, both missionaries that served here! One was an American that served here 6 years ago, and he brought his wife and baby, and the other is a Korean, who's trainer was trained by the American, funnily enough. They were super awesome to meet, and both got up and gave a short testimony. I wish it was longer, because...I had to speak. So the topic was 승영. 
What the heck is that? It's not in the dictionary. Turns out the Korean language doesn't have the word 'exaltation'. So the church made it up. Just like the words "tracting" and temple "sealings." So it was hard to find what it actually meant, not to mention talk about it for 10 minutes. Then our branch president comes up to me the day before and says, 'oh, by the way, just make it 20 minutes, we only have one other speaker tomorrow.'......crap.
On Sunday, the other speaker comes up to me and says she wasn't well prepared, and leaves me with almost 30 minutes to speak, even with the other return missionaries. So I spoke...and spoke... and spoke. After an eternity of rambling, I sat down, but it only took about 15-17 minutes. But the branch president said it was really good. So at least I didn't end after 5 minutes or something. That was a... frightening experience. But when I got up and told the congregation of 20 that I didn't even know what the topic meant in English 3 days ago, that made them laugh. Once I learned what it meant, it was easier to talk about it.

Jordan and a friend from his high school days

Other than that, not too much happened up here in Sokcho, but my MTC companion is in our district, and it's time for exchanges, so I'll be back up with good ole' Elder Smith this week!!! I'm super excited. He's awesome.
Until next week,
-Elder Franchina
뿅!

No comments:

Post a Comment