Sunday, August 3, 2014

Pahoran Is A Great Role Model

This week we worked really hard, I think this will be one of the most productive transfers of my mission. We were not able to meet with Mr PRK, despite going to his shop twice this week. Our investigator pool, once again, has become a bit stagnant, so we decided to go through old investigator records and old progress records. We set up two new appointments, and they both went really well.

CHU is interesting, about 40 years old, and interested in talking. He's originally Buddhist, but interested in learning about our message.

We receive texts from a guy with random, sometimes crazy things, and he suddenly asked if we can meet, so we decided to try it once. Both of those lessons went very well. We went over HTBT(How to Begin Teaching) and role-played, and we also set a goal to make 10 baptismal invitations this month for our companionship, and if there are more opportunities, go for 100% for every first lesson with investigators. We invited both to be baptized, and they accepted! Both agreed to come to church, but other circumstances, including rain, kept them from coming this week, but we're already 3/10 for our goal, so we'll probably have to adjust it later next week.

On Sunday we had a big miracle (just as expected, it was fast Sunday).  A member around the age of 16, KIM, brought his friend LEE to church the week before, and we heard that they both went to the youth conference this past week. He came back and loved it. He talked about the activities and exercise, but the best part was to come. During sacrament all of the youth got up to bare their testimonies, and LEE asked if he could get up! It was great, he bore his testimony like a member did, and he's only been to church two or three times. It was amazing, but quite obvious to me, that the promise is still extended, that if we seek the Spirit, we shall find. If we knock on the door of the house of the Lord, we can prepare and enter. He's searching, and he's finding his answers already. Then we taught a lesson after church, it was so natural. He's so curious, and very desirous to have a religion. Everything we said was testified of by the Holy Ghost, and he agreed to prepare for baptism. We picked him up as a new investigator, and we're pretty confident he'll be baptized by the end of this month or the next.

KJY  is doing well, we studied Alma 17 and 18, and he decided he wants to go on a mission, so now he needs to discuss it with his girlfriend. We're so happy for him, that he is so in-tune with the Spirit and the scriptures. There's only one small speed bump.  He mentioned that he doesn't remember ever having people lay their hands on his head and getting the Holy Ghost. He was baptized and then went straight to military service, so it's possible. We're trying to find his record, but if he didn't receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, he may have to be re-baptized or have that given soon. Either way, I'm really excited that he's planning for a mission, and his back-up plan is going to BYU Provo. Maybe both! I love him, he's such a cool guy.

I'm so grateful to be serving with Elder Gardner again. He's a great Elder, and we just feed off of each other. He wants to work hard, and that makes me want to work harder. We talk to every one and are really working on improving our skills as missionaries. It's not only as fun as I imagined it would be, but we're still working on being humble and improving our weaknesses. I think we've had some really good companion inventories, making goals and following through, and I really hope to serve with him for the remainder of my mission. He's a great Elder and a blessing to my mission, to the 강릉 branch, and to the zone out here.

One thing I really liked from something I read this last week was in the later chapters of Alma, Moroni writes Pahoran and really rips him a new one with how he has been holding back. He calls him to repentance, and places the blood of all those who died on his head. What a condemnation. How would we respond? I know when I've been accused of things, I act defensively, and even offended. How did Pahoran respond?

"Behold,I say unto you, Moroni, that I do not joy in your great afflictions,yea, it grieves my soul.
And now, in your epistle you have censured me, but it mattereth not; I
am not angry, but do rejoice in the greatness of your heart. I,
Pahoran, do not seek for power, save only to retain my judgment-seat
that I may preserve the rights and the liberty of my people. My soul
standeth fast in that liberty in the which God hath made us free.
And now, Moroni, I do joy in receiving your epistle.."


If only we could respond with the same meekness and self control as Pahoran. He first let Moroni know that he was not mad. He then informed him of the current situation (of which he didn't know about at the time he condemned Pahoran), then rejoiced in his righteousness, and then went on to strengthen his brother in the Lord. "Therefore, my beloved brother, Moroni, let us resist evil, and whatsoever evil we cannot resist with our words, yea, such as rebellions and dissensions, let us resist them with our swords, that we may retain our freedom, that we may rejoice in the great privilege of our church, and in the cause of our Redeemer and our God." What a great example of humility and receiving and giving correction.
I'm so grateful for the Book of Mormon and the Bible, providing countless witnesses of the Son of God. I have experienced recently in my mission the truthfulness of these words,

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in
heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

Christ requires that we give all, but in the process of giving all, we qualify for his grace, bringing rest unto our souls. He is the perfect example, and he is our friend.

Elder Franchina

No comments:

Post a Comment