Sunday, November 24, 2013

Chusuk and New Elderly Investigator

Hey everybody!
 
This week is Thanksgiving, but because Korea has it's own thanksgiving (Chusuk), we usually wouldn't celebrate it. But, we got an email today and a member in each ward has been so kind as to offer the missionaries a nice dinner on thanksgiving. I'm really excited. We are still doing the 30/30 program, but we're trying to gear it more towards families, so we just call it the Family English Program now. It's good, but we don't have many people interested.
 
Responsibilities as a DL are that of service, offering help and training to other missionaries, and keeping up on everybody's investigators. I enjoy keeping in frequent contact with everybody. One of the opportunities I have is to help people with the Language Progress Program, which we used to call pass off. It's just a little book with vocabulary and help teaching the lessons, so they meet with me, I help them with vocabulary, and then they teach me a lesson as if I was an investigator, and they move through all four lessons, then teach one of the APs. It's just a good program to help learn Korean, and once you pass off, that's a good sign that you're capable of training.
 
Dad, don't worry. There is not a shortage of ping pong trash talk. Our investigator talks trash when we play. It's funny. Don't worry, I'll talk trash to you when I get back, you just might not understand it. I'll have to learn trash talk in Japanese too. 
 
Speaking of which, I've undertaken learning Japanese, as I might have mentioned before. I don't know if it'll help me on my mission, so I'm not spending too much time on it, but I'll learn to read and a few things about missionary work, so if I meet someone, I can use it.
 
This week has been good, but I think I'll just focus on one point. We met a really old guy a few weeks ago, a new guy at our English class. He said he came to this church once or twice maybe 40 years ago, but doesn't go to church anymore. He's terrible at English, but has a really big desire to learn. He's 74, and really likes church. He came two weeks ago, and showed up again yesterday. We taught the Plan of Salvation and followed up on the Restoration, and he said, 'You know what? I think I'll attend this church until the day I die.' Just that morning we were told by a member that it's hard to teach old people and they never get baptized. But it's not because of our teaching, this man just has a great desire. He loves coming to church. We talked a little about baptism and set a date for the 15 of December. Afterwards, he asked if we could start coming to his house to teach him. Our member drove us all over so we can see where he lives, and dropped him off. It was a great Sunday. Our other guy, SHN, is still out of town every weekend, visiting his uncle's grave every week for 7 weeks. But he said he'll definitely come back once this is done. It's an old Korean tradition in some families to pray at their grave for 49 days. That's a long time ㅠㅠ
 
I'm just so happy to be out here, even though it's cold, even though I may not understand when people yell at us. Even when we go days or weeks without meeting anyone with interest. I'm meeting lifelong friends and developing a deep love for this culture. It's worth every minute I'm out here.
 
I love you all and will talk to you next week!
 
Elder Franchina

No comments:

Post a Comment