Sunday, July 14, 2013

A Year Ago...

We mentioned to Jordan that it has almost been a year since he got his mission call...


Yeah, I remember a few days before I got my call, laying on the Saltmarsh's lawn thinking about where I'll go, talking about receiving my call. Then that day came with the big envelope. Wow, time has gone by so fast! Today is my 6 month mark in Korea, by the way. Crazy.
 
There's not much to report this week, I'm sorry. It's turning into monsoon season, so there's rain coming from all directions. It's not raining one second, then the next it'll be pouring. Sideways. But it's a fun experience, we've received SO MUCH rain this past week! Our investigators are doing well, one accepted a baptismal date for the 4th of August, so we're all excited for him! We're still working a lot with less-actives and still talking to everyone we see on the street!
The work is hard. So hard. But so rewarding. I love being out here.
 
 
 
Today we'll go to Costco to get our two week supply of groceries, play ping pong with some people in our zone, and that's about it.
 
I can't think of anything I need, I'm pretty set. If you could just send a small plastic envelope thingy full of flavor packets, that could be enough. I don't want you to spend so much money sending that though. I'll see if I can find it at Costco.
I don't really need anything. Not shirts, garments, ties, food, anything. Just your prayers!
We've been a little stressed out these past few weeks. My companion baptized someone two weeks before I got here, but he hasn't been back to church to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost yet. So we wanted to come to his house and do it there, but we need the bishopric, witnesses, and it would be ideal to have it done in sacrament. The ward members should be there to see it and to befriend him. But if he doesn't come, what else can we do? The other problem is that he has a disorder. It's not bad, he understands what you're talking about. So there's the question if he needs to be baptized or not. Well, before I got there, they talked it over with the mission president, and he said if he thinks at the level of an 8 year old or higher, he can be baptized. But who's the judge of that? We thought we'd have to make that decision, and deciding who needs baptism or not seemed to be a huge burden. But after talking to the mission president, we realized that we can talk to the bishop. It's ultimately his decision, because the converts will then become a member of his ward. 
 
His brother, who loves our message, but never wanted to come to church, came out yesterday! He wants to get baptized, but the bishop thinks he doesn't need it. So we're trying to work that out, but that's just a little of the stress we've had. But after a phone call to the mission president, we realize that all of the responsibility isn't ours. We thought we had big decisions to make. But it's not all ours. So we feel a lot better about it. Since that one guy was baptized, his ordinance needs to be finished. So that's where we are at right now. Finishing his ordinance. 
 
Don't worry dad, I may be a little stressed at times, but your prayers, the prayers of others, and the fact that I'm on the Lord's errand is helping me. I'm learning a lot, one of which is how to deal with stress, so it's all a big blessing!
 
I love missionary work. Thank you for your support and your example. I still think of how you talk about your mission all of the time. Just the way you talk about it, I can tell it means so much to you. That has helped me make my mission mean more to me. You're the best dad!
Love you!
 
Elder Franchina


No comments:

Post a Comment