Sunday, July 7, 2013

Another Rainy Week in Seoul & Breaking Up



Hello there!
First, to answer your....statement, yeah. It's very different from Sokcho, but it's still great. There's a ton of people, and resources everywhere, not to mention the church is 20 feet away from our house. It's SUPER hot. Like I said last week, you get used to being wet all of the time. Our house is miserably hot, no AC, so we're going to ask the mission president if we can sleep in the church. Past missionaries did, because the church has AC. But it's not that bad, it's nice being in Seoul. It's a weird feeling, I still feel like we're on a vacation, and I'll go back to my home soon. But that home is Sokcho. I can't wait to go back with you guys at the end of my mission. I walk past the small fish market and the smells really take me back to the good ole Sokcho days.
Just nostalgia, not homesickness.
There's no real 'dialect', Seoul is determined to be the standard speech. Sokcho where I was, has some dialect, but our mission doesn't really have any. It's Busan and Daejon that really have strange accents. 

It's raining a lot here. We walked to the church to watch a video during study, and only a few minutes later, we go to walk back and it's raining sideways. It's pouring. It's on and off, but when it turns on, it's on full blast.
Yes, I got my shirts, probably a month or two ago. I can't remember, time is a strange thing on your mission. But those short sleeved shirts you sent are saving my life. I definitely needed more. Thank you! There's nothing I really need right now, except more Hawaiian punch. But don't send just those. You can wait for a month or two until there's more things I need. Just don't send the lemonade ones, I like the berry flavored Hawaiian punches.
Anyway......

Three missionaries helping Brad pour cement at the Franchina house!
That's great the missionaries helped with the cement, I would love to help with things like that. We don't really get those kinds of opportunities here. No one really has lawns or yards, and even if they need help with something, they refuse it, almost rudely. But there's something in the culture about it not being good for an older person to receive help from a younger person. But there was a guy laying on the ground last week kind of by our house, and he asked for food, so we went back home and gave him some fruit. He was super grateful, and it left us feeling really good. We may not be able to help lay cement, but we can help out in other ways.
Now for the week's activities:
We've met with some investigators, we have our friend xxxxxx, who is fluent at English. He lived in the Philippines for a few years, but his roommates were British, so he doesn't speak English, he speaks British English. Kind of pidgeon English too. It's weird. It's awesome, but if you don't focus, it's hard to understand him. Mostly because you don't expect a Korean to bust out that kind of accent. He and his friend are good, they're really curious about our church, and they're really nice. We're really good friends. 
We've picked up some old investigators, and, unfortunately, had to drop some that have been meeting for a while but haven't progressed. It's so hard to drop an investigator. As a sister missionary told me once, it's like breaking up. I laughed at it, but when I really experienced it, I realized she was right. You know how break ups go, when you plan on doing it, her dog died that morning, so you can't do it. Then the next time you plan to break up, turns out it's her birthday. And it goes on...and on. So we were going to drop our investigator, and he says, 'first, I brought you some bread.' How nice! He requested 'fresh water', so we went to our house to grab some water our of the fridge and a knife to cut the bread. We wanted to talk about the gospel quickly so we could talk about his progression in the gospel, but he said, 'well you must eat all of the bread first.' He's so nice, but I felt bad snarfing down his gift while planning our breakup. Also, there was a miscommunication between him and the missionaries he first met, because they didn't establish expectations with him. That's a crucial step, letting them know that we're not English teachers and our main purpose is to teach the gospel of Jesus Christ. There's a few reasons we  needed to drop him, but it wasn't easy. And it's hard to have everyone part ways still friends. It's just like breaking up. I thought I'd get away from relationships while on my mission!
This Sunday at church was insane. We had investigators show up, so we had to do splits and teach with members. I got our 13 year old investigator. Her other friend usually comes too, but she didn't come yesterday. So we taught her with her member friend, named xxxxx, and a return missionary. It's really different teaching kids. But it's really fun! I love it. It's hard to come up with creative ways to simply explain deep doctrine, but with the help of an experienced missionary and visuals, it was really fun. Our other investigator that showed up is interesting. My last companion met him in his last area a few months ago. He's met with missionaries all over Seoul for a few months, having them translate, line by line, slowly, a drivers license test manual from Guam. I don't know why. Maybe he plans on moving to Guam and driving. But a lot of missionaries know him and his little red driving book. He's nice though, and said he likes coming to church.
I really like Elder Gardner. We really teach well together. My other companions have been great, don't get me wrong, but he's the first companion I've had that hasn't been out on his mission longer than me. But that doesn't mean I'm better. He's just as good at Korean, and really willing to learn. He's a great teacher and we work really well together.
Today isn't our pday, so we're just emailing, then going out to work. The reason is tomorrow is temple day, so we get to go to the temple, then pday until 6! Fun! After the temple we'll go to the president's house and make cookies. I'm really excited! 
I love Dongdaemoon, the ward is huge, and it's great to work with them. There's people everywhere, so you never run out of people to talk to, even though it's always really hot.
Love you all and hope you have a good week!
Elder Franchina

No comments:

Post a Comment