Sunday, August 11, 2013

Feeling A Lot Better & Chocolate Pudding!

Jordan's mission president (President Christensen) is a surgeon, so I believe he has basic medical training! It's a comfort to know that not only he is spiritually watching over these missionaries, he is monitoring their health and well-being....



I'm feeling a lot better now, I went to the doctor, got some medicinal mouthwash and stuff. I used a flashlight and saw what was in my throat and got scared. I immediately dragged my companion to the hospital. My throat was all swollen and colorful. I think it might have been a strain of strep? Either way, it was miserable, and I had symptoms up the wazoo. I tried teaching lessons, but even though we had AC, I was sweating bullets and had a fever. I talked to President Christensen, and he said it seems like I have a virus, so no matter if I work or not, it'll stay for its duration and go away later. So I figured I could either be miserable inside doing nothing, or miserable outside, letting my trainee talk to Koreans. :)  It was fun, he's doing so well.

Air Conditioner!!!

Our apartment in Dongdaemun...it's the largest one in the mission!
But this week, we didn't get much done. Towards the evenings, like viruses do, I got a lot worse so I had to go home, but we were able to finally meet with xxxxx again. He has been out of town. His baptismal date was for the 4th, but since he hasn't come to church once and hasn't yet received an answer, he didn't get baptized. But we met again, adjusted his date, and encouraged him to keep trying for an answer. Yesterday we fasted for our half-convert, who was baptized before I came to this area, but even after visiting multiple times a week, every week, he still never came out to church to get confirmed. We even took the bishopric to his house, but he wasn't there. But this week we fasted for him, and even though we weren't able to see him at church, the bishopric went with us to his house, and the bishop gave him the gift of the Holy Ghost. It was a cool experience, but now he's already less-active. So we'll work on him. I just think he's a bit shy, and our ward is kind of big.
But now we have sisters in our area, and they're amazing, so we're working together a lot to make family home evening and English class really fun and a good way to find new people to teach! Tomorrow we have a big service project where we're going to a park to clean up trash, so that should be fun!
 

My trainee is doing great. His Korean is improving so much! He's really easy to get along with, along with the other two elders in our house.
Quick funny story before I finish.
Last Friday we wanted to do something nice for some members in the ward. One of our sisters suggested we make them pudding. So she got the recipe and we made homemade pudding, cornstarch, cocoa, and all. It was fun and it tasted pretty good. But the problem was we added the eggs to the mix while it was still a little too hot, so there were small chunks of egg yolk. It looked gross, but tasted fine. Next problem: We didn't have disposable bowls or Tupperware to give them out in. Just bags. So we spooned some yolk-y pudding into bags, and tied a knot at the top. Didn't look pretty. But it tasted fine, so we didn't worry. They looked ridiculous though. We get to one member's house, the Mongolians in our ward, and they weren't home. So we stuck a card we made for them in the door, and left the pudding at the foot of the door. But it was dark, and we didn't want them to step on it, so we laid it over the door handle and left. It was quite ridiculous. We weren't sure if we should actually do it or not, but the sisters said yes, so we did. We talked to the Mongolians the next day, and they said they got it, and ate it, without knowing what it was, and said it was delicious! When we gave it to another member, she looked at the sisters and was like, 'What is this? Is it edible?' It was so funny. But they all loved it.
Chocolate Pudding, anyone??
Anyway, that's our adventures for this week. Today: Dongdaemun shopping and bathouses!
Love you guys!
Elder Franchina

No comments:

Post a Comment