Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Email #7


The lights at the MTC

Christmas is just around the corner and I begin to wonder how it is celebrated in the MTC.  The above picture says it all.  Jordan gets to spend ALL of the holidays: Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Eve, plus his 20th birthday while at the MTC.

The holidays have been a whirlwind.  Zach got some time off, and we hurried and got airline tickets for him, Niki and Oliver to come and spend an entire week during Christmas with us.  Jaren, Jordan's cousin, is getting his papers together for his mission.  He turns 19 in January.  The local missionaries in Draper have been searching for a place to live and we have offered our basement.

Here's part of his latest letter:

Tell him (Jaren, his cousin) how wonderful a mission is. I'm still only in the MTC and my testimony has been strengthened so much already. I'm so happy that you could get Zakk Nikki and Oliver up for the holidays. That'll be so much fun!! Take pictures! And that's awesome you have the missionaries moved in!  Thank you for the addresses! That will help a lot. 

The Christmas tree we mailed to Jordan


Grandma and Grandpa Shell: I bought a Hymn book and the Children's songbook in Korean, and they are so beautiful. We sing a hymn twice a day to start our classes. It's wonderful. It brings such a wonderful spirit to hear sacred hymns and other songs. I don't think I'll be able to write next Tuesday, it'll be Christmas, so I'll say MERRY CHRISTMAS now!! I love you both so much, and I'll miss you this year and next. I can't wait until two years from now, when I come over on Christmas, and share some touching stories from my mission and listen to your testimonies and share about Christ and feel his spirit at this time of year. 



Grandpa Franchina: Thank you so much for your letters, and especially that scarf. You'll notice I'm wearing it in most pictures outside, it's quite a warm scarf, and it reminds me of you. Thank you so much. I'll miss you this Christmas and next, coming over on Christmas Eve and opening a present and picking out an ornament, but in two years, I'll be there and we'll have plenty of time to catch up. I know we'll both have great stories to share, and it'll be nice to feel of the spirit of Christmas. 

Jordan, Taylor Longmore, & Josh Powell...all three from the same ward!

Korean is an incredibly beautiful language, they express feelings so deeply and eloquently. Anyway, I love you all so much. I miss you all, but I don't want to come home just yet! I can't wait to get to Korea. It's a bit scary, but nothing that is of value is easy. Conversion isn't easy because salvation isn't cheap. Thank you for sending your insights and thoughts about the Book of Mormon, your love, and your testimonies as well.

Just a note about our progressing investigators: One is getting baptized on Saturday, he's really receptive to our message (the teachers act just like their investigators did in Korea, and one teacher is being one of his 'golden investigators'). The other one is having some other problems, but we set his baptismal date yesterday. He's planning on the 31. He had a few problems with the word of wisdom - cop-ee, nohk cha, and hohng cha (coffee, green, and black tea are essential to a Korean). But he agreed to try. My companion is wonderful, he's so sweet and has a wonderful testimony. The spirit is always there in our lessons. I love this work! 


Love,

Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment