Monday, February 4, 2013

Annyeonghaseyo


My companion is Elder Witt, from Fresno, he knows the Thomas family in the 5th ward. The dad served in Korea and he's a family friend [of the Thomas family].  He's been here for 3 transfers, so he's new too, but his Korean is awesome. There were only 16 people, including me and my companion, and the branch president and his wife there, so it's a SMALL branch, but it's good. The people are really nice. I have my introductory speech, and bore my testimony. I think I said everything right..


Here's some funny things about Korean:
The word for "missionary" and "sexual instructor/teacher" are incredibly similar. Sometimes people smile when you introduce yourself as a missionary.
Now, "small," and"death" are all similar, so you have to be careful with those words.
In the MTC, I asked my progressing investigator if "he wanted to be stabbed like Christ was," instead of "wanting to be Christ-like," so I hope I don't make that mistake here in Korea.


We haven't taught any lessons yet, just a bunch street contacts, but we have three lessons set up this week, so hopefully they show up.
The food? hm.. I'll have to get used to the whole fish covered with chili paste. Also things like meat that doesn't look like meat, or potatoes with strange seasonings. But I'll get used to it. It's not so bad. But I have been SEVERELY ungrateful for the food you and mom cooked. I would give anything for bread, or a casserole, or basically anything you've ever cooked right now. Even the foods I didn't like before sound good. But I don't hate the food here, it'll just take some getting used to.

There's not really much of a culture shock, I don't know why. But maybe it'll hit later.

Always remember that I love you!!


No comments:

Post a Comment